I live in the Pittsburgh area and there are some wonderful local places to find inexpensive or unique supplies. Here are a few of my favorites.
- Half Price Books – I don’t subscribe to magazines so when I need to replenish my stash this is where I go. A giant Vogue or In Style magazine is 50 cents and provides lots of photos to used for collage and art journaling.
- Thrift Stores- I feel much better about using a hard cover book for a journal if someone else got rid of it and I am not paying much if anything for it. Many times you can find bits and pieces at the thrift store to use in mixed media, journaling, bookmaking and more. I have gotten fabric, buttons and yarn on the cheap!
- Pittsburgh Center for Creative Reuse-When you are looking for lots of weird supplies this is the spot to go to. I have gotten slide frames, tubing, fabric, funky papers, and lots of little bits for my canvases. You can get items by the bag or as single items. It changes regularly depending on what has been donated to them. Fantastic resource for everything from Cosplay to Art.
- Top Notch Art Supply– They are small, but the supplies are fantastic! They have the best price on Copic Markers anywhere! I love finding oil pastels, gel pens, markers, charcoal, funky paper, specialty paint brushes, paint sticks and calligraphy supplies. They have the best ink choices of the area!
- Garage Sales – This is the perfect time of year to scour yard sales! You may find something that was really expensive in the store for pennies. Old jewelry, beads, craft supplies, machines, utensils you can use to make marks, crafting tools and even children’s games. Puzzles are wonderful for mixed media.
Those are my top 5 go to places for finding unique items to play with in my art.